Protect your Business Data from Wannacry/Ransomware Attack
NOTE: There is no way to retrieve the data impacted by Wannacry/Ransomware till date.
Also: Mac & Linux/Unix based OS will not be impacted by Wannacry/Ransomware till date
So the best way to protect the business data in Windows based computers is by the following precautionary measures
- Open files only from trusted source. These files are used for spreading the Ransomware.- Commonly used office file extensions (.ppt, .doc, .docx, .xlsx, .sxi)
– Less common and nation-specific office formats (.sxw, .odt, .hwp)
– Archive and media files (.zip, .rar, .tar, .bz2, .mp4, .mkv)
– Emails and email databases (.eml, .msg, .ost, .pst, .edb)
– Database files (.sql, .accdb, .mdb, .dbf, .odb, .myd)
– Developers’ source code and project files (.php, .java, .cpp, .pas, .asm)
– Encryption keys and certificates (.key, .pfx, .pem, .p12, .csr, .gpg, .aes)
– Files used by graphic designers, artists and photographers (.vsd, .odg, .raw, .nef, .svg, .psd)
– Virtual machine files (.vmx, .vmdk, .vdi)Dont open exe|pif |tmp |url|vb|vbe|scr|reg| cer|pst|cmd|com|bat|dll|dat|hlp|hta|js|wsf from external sources
- Users and administrators of older Windows systems such as Windows XP, Vista, Server 2008, and Server 2003 should get an update to a newer version.
- Apply the patches to the Windows systems recommended by Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010.
- Maintain updated antivirus software.
- Keep and regularly update an offline database of important files. Ideally, backups of data should be maintained on separate devices. Dont connect backup devices to the network.
- Organisations connecting to the Internet through Enterprise Edge or perimeter network devices [UDP 137, 138 and TCP 139, 445] should block their SMB ports or disable SMBv1.
- Use cloud to store the data(eg. Google Drive, Dropbox)
- Use Cloud based software for different purpose in your company.
- Posted on May 18, 2017
- By Deep Patel
- 0 Comments